Welcome to my blog. I’m david, founder of UpStart Advisors. Here’s my story. I look forward to hearing yours:
- I learned to craft clear, compelling arguments as an English major at Brown University.
- As a management consultant, I learned how to conduct research and analysis, and present recommendations in a persuasive way.
- At Harvard Business School, I rounded out my business education, and developed a keen interest in entrepreneurship.
- After school, I became a “serial entrepreneur”, which gave me a real-world perspective on business planning. In 1996, I launched my first business with a friend from college – one of the first social networks. A few years later, I started an “out-of-home” advertising business that’s still running today. I also founded an e-newsletter company. Along the way, I raised capital from friends, family, angels, angel groups, and venture capital firms.
- In between my own ventures, I helped other entrepreneurs and companies plan new businesses. Eventually, I determined that I was a decent entrepreneur, but a great business planner, and made that my focus. It’s a great fit with my background and skills, and I have a passion for working with entrepreneurs, and helping them activate their dreams.
Today, I run a consulting and coaching firm called UpStart Advisors. We help clients evaluate opportunities, conduct research and analysis, develop business plans, and connect with critical resources like advisors, investors, business partners, lawyers, accountants, and web developers. We’ve planned new ventures in many industries, including digital media, social networking, e-commerce, advertising, skin care, cosmetics, luxury goods, travel services, baby products, beverages, retail, apparel, health care, and toys.
UpStart offers a range of products and services, from free tweets and blog posts, to paid workshops, coaching sessions, consulting projects and speaking engagements.